Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hydration...

Well, I really found out the importance of water yesterday. Clay and I set out for a 7 mile run. It was another hard day, taking roughly 70 min. As we ran, I was going over the possible causes in my head. We ran at about 1:00 PM. It was about 4 miles in that I realized that all I had to drink was two and a half cups of coffee and a few sips of Vitamin Water. Yikes! No wonder my body wouldn't respond. I am hoping that I have learned my lesson. I checked out a few websites dealing with the amount of water/liquid you need on a daily basis. I know we've all heard the old adage, "Eight ounces eight times a day..." and I wanted to know if that was accurate and how much extra I should be drinking.

From www.mayoclinic.com -

"Lack of water can lead to dehydration, a condition that occurs when you don't have enough water in your body to carry out normal functions. Even mild dehydration can drain your energy and make you tired."

Bottom line:

Men need 3 liters of water a day not including exercise. Women need 2.2 liters. The more exercise, the more you need. Don't wait till you are thirsty during the day to drink water. Also, they suggest sports drinks for longer bouts of exercise (like running!) And yes, if you are peeing clear then you are getting enough fluids!

Well, here we go again. I hope I have had enough water today... this is a speed day (yeah ladders!). I'll let you know. I hope that you get enough water to quench your thirst but that your hunger for God is unending!
-Erin

Prayer Request for the Day: Please continue to pray for my friend Linda and her family.

John 4:12-14 Are you greater than out father Jacod, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds? Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

Song of the Day:
"Washed by the Water" -Needtobreathe (thanks Dad!)

No comments: